CA Dream Act Checklist

      Know your name exactly as it appears on your legal documents

      Student Work Authorization Social Security Number or ITIN (if applicaple, if you don't have either it's okay!)

      Student State ID (SSID)- You can find this ID number on your high school transcripts

      Parent/s Social Security Number or ITIN (if applicable)

      Parent/s Current Tax Return (if applicable) or source of income and annual amount

      Parent/s Date of Birth (MMDDYYYY)

      Parent/s Marital Status and Date of Marital Status (MMYYYY)

      Getting Started: Create an Account

      Click: "Start"

      Answer Eligibility Questions

      Create User Account

      You will then receive an email to activate your account

      Create a password and set up security questions

      Current Seniors select 2023–24 FAFSA form: you will be attending college between July 1, 2023, and June 30, 2024.   

      Completing the CADAA : Step by Step

      1. Login

      2. Select the School Year you plan to attend college (For current Seniors that would be 2023-2024)

      3. Read the Instruction and click "Ok"

      4. Complete Section 1: Personal Information for Student

      ** For citizenship status, student will select: "I am not a citizen or an eligible noncitizen"

      5. Complete Section 2: School Selection

      - List the schools you are planning to/ have applied to

      6. Complete Section 3: Dependency Status

      7. Complete Section 4: Student Financial Information

      8. Complete Section 5: Parent Information

      9. Complete Section 6: Parent Financial Information

      10. Sign and Submit

      11. Click: Parent Signature

      - Create parent pin, sign & submit

      * Application will NOT be processed or deemed complete if parent signature is missing!

      More Information & Resources

      10 Things You Need to Know About the CADAA
      Click below for important information about the application, eligibility, and what to do and expect after completing the application.
      Learn More about the CADAA
      CADAA FAQ for Parents and Students
      Click on the link below to find the answers to some of the Frequently Asked Questions parents and students have about the CA Dream Act.
      AB 540 Affidavit
      For undocumented students to access in-state tuition at California public colleges and universities, an AB 540 affidavit form must be completed and submitted with your most recent high school transcripts and California Residency Questionnaire to the Admissions Office of the school you intend to enroll in.

      *Each college system may have their own version of this form available on their school's financial aid website.
      Residency Questionnaire
      The California Residency Questionnaire is submitted with the AB540 Affidavit to determine that the student was continuously physically present in California for more than one year (366 days) immediately prior to the residence determination date of the term for which you request resident status.

      *Each college system may have their own version of this form available on their school's financial aid website.

      Dependency Status

      All applicants for federal student aid are considered either "dependent" or "independent"

      Click the button below and answer the questions listed to determine your dependency status.

      * If student files their own taxes it does not make them "independent". For federal student aid, students are considered "dependent" until the age of 24, unless they meet any of the requirements listed.

      ** Although this links to the Federal Student Aid Website, same rules apply

      Check Your Dependency Status

      Who Is My Parent on CA Dream Act?

      Use the chart above to guide you on reporting parent information.

      Are parents married to each other?

      Yes: Provide information for both parents

      No: Provide information for the parent you live with the most or provides the most financial support.

      No but living together: Provide information for both parents

      ** Although this links to the Federal Student Aid Website, same rules apply

      Reporting Parent Information (FAQ)